homepage logo

Wildcats Get Season’s 1st Win

By Staff | Sep 28, 2016

Photo by Ron Heasley Wildcats’ Haden Hizer fearlessly rushes past this Hornets’ trio Friday.

PADEN CITY – Coming into Friday night’s clash with visiting Hundred, the Wildcats were hungry for their first win of the season.

Neither team had yet broken into the win column and their Wetzel County rivals were looking to grab a victory, but came up short as the Wildcats notched a 59-0 win.

Hundred appeared strong after the opening kickoff. Hornets’ quarterback Danny Stewart lost 11 yards on his first two carries and the Hornets faced a third and 19. But Stewart once again called his own number and raced 23 yards up the sideline for a first down and it looked like it might be a ball game.

Things quickly changed, however, as Paden City stopped Hundred and facing a 3-14, Stewart was intercepted by Wildcats’ Mike Shreves to give his team good field position from the visitors’ 45-yardline. Paden City went right to work and put together a six-play drive capped off by Hayden Hizer’s seven-yard touchdown run. Hizer then ran in the two-point conversion and the score stood at 8-0 with 7:55 left in the first quarter.

On their next possession, Hundred was forced to punt and the Wildcats got the ball back at the 47 yard line where quarterback Aaron Heasley found senior wide receiver Wesley Smith all alone down the sideline on a 47-yard touchdown pass to shoot the Wildcats out to a 14-0 lead with 6:26 still to play in the first. The extra point try was no good.

Hundred took the kickoff and after gaining their second first down of the quarter, Stewart was intercepted by Heasley and the Wildcats took over their own 40. They quickly moved the ball to Hundred’s 39 but a series of penalties and fumbles moved the ball back to the 40 where they were forced to punt and the quarter ended 14-0.

Hundred started the second quarter with the ball on they were on the 38 and after three runs by Stewart, picked up their third first down of the game moving the ball to midfield. Stewart was then sacked and on the next play received a penalty for intentional grounding. The hornets were forced to punt. Hizer took the punt at their own 43 and raced 57 yards up field dodging tacklers to find the end zone and with 8:12 left in the half. The extra point kick by Heasley was good and the Wildcats were up 27-0.

Stewart left the game with an injury and running back Issiah Jobes took over, but was unable to move the ball, so the Hornets were forced to punt. The Wildcats took over on Hundred’s 48 and after a screen pass from Heasley to Bryant McKay for 20 yards, Heasley then found Hizer out in the flat on a screen pass where he took it 43 yards to the hose lifting PCHS to a 33-0 lead with 2:45 left to play in the half. With the extra point kick no good the 33-0 the Wildcats took that lead into the locker room at halftime.

On the second half opening kickoff, Hizer took the ball on the 33-yardline and ran untouched 67 yards to paydirt giving the hosts a 40-0 lead after Daulton Schultheis’ extra point kick was good. Hundred was forced to a three and out on their first possession of the third quarter and was forced to punt.

On Paden City’s next possesion, Smith who came in to replace Heasley, fumbled giving the Hornets the ball on their own 19 yard line. Moments later, Paden City’s McKay recovered a Hornet fumble which set up a 26-yard touchdown run from the Wildcats’ Anthony Newman, who raced around the left side untouched to the end zone. The kick was good by Schultheis and Paden City held a 47-0 lead with 4:49 left in the third quarter. The second half was shortened to eight minute quarters with the clock running continuously in the fourth.

Still in the third quarter, Hundred was forced to punt and after two straight runs by Shreves. Wildcats’ Landon Smith found paydirt on a 67 yard run to raise the score to 53-0. The Wildcats took a knee on the extra point try as the third quarter ended.

To start the fourth quarter, Hundred got the ball on their own 48 yard line and two plays later Wildcats’ Drew Carpenter intercepted Chase Sturm’s pass thus giving the Wildcats the ball on the 35 yardline. Shreves gained 12 yards on the drive and on a fourth-and-four, Newman raced 18 yards for six to give the Cat’s the final score of 59-0 and land their first victory of the season.

The Wildcats were led in scoring by Hizer with four touchdowns as he ended with five rushes for 52 yards and caught one pass for 43. Heasley threw for two touchdowns hitting on 3-4 passes for 110 yards and ran for another score as he gained 54 yards on 6 carries, while also intercepting a pass. Randor Amos led the defense with 11 tackles and nine assists while also intercepting a pass to set up a score. Mike Shreves added 25 yards on eight carries while Anthony Newman had four carries for 50 yards two T.D.’s. Landon Smith one carry for 67 yards and a T.D.

The Wildcats will be back in action at home on Friday when they face the undefeated and state ranked Cameron Dragons in a 7 p.m. contest.