homepage logo

Knights Humble Highlanders

By Staff | Sep 14, 2016

Photos by Maggie Smith TCHS’ Mark Rucker speeds down the field evading Highlanders during Friday’s game.

MIDDLEBOURNE – Coming into Tyler Consolidated and leaving with a victory is not going to be easy this year.

Sporting a 2-0 record, Webster County’s Highlanders learned that the hard way Friday night when the Knights used a combination of speed and strength to overwhelm the visitors, 28-0.

The Silver Knights made it look easy from start to finish as they scored 22 first half points and cruised to the win. The Highlanders won the opening toss and elected to defer until the second half thus giving TCHS the ball first.

Silver Knights’ Jace Reed and Tyler Anderson took turns pounding the ball up the middle with Reed finishing the drive going six yards off tackle for the first score with 8:45 left in the first half. The two point conversion pass was off the mark and the Knights led 6-0.

After stopping the Highlanders, the Knights put together another good drive and played ball control the rest of the quarter. With 9:17 left before the half, Anderson found paydirt from eight yards out on an end sweep and the Knights went up by two scores.

No one can deny that fan support may have spurred the Silver Knights to play harder, score more points, At biottom, the Silver Knights rush the field on their way to a 28-0 victory over the Highlanders.

Reed then ran in for the two point conversion and the score stood at 14-0.

Webster County found the Knights’ defense led by Brandon Keys and Corey Chipps too tough to crack and could only muster two first downs in the half.

With Knights quarterback Griffin Phillips hitting three of his five passes in the first half and Anderson and Reed pounding the ball, the Knights scored again when Reed busted up the middle with 7:26 left to play in the second quarter. Reed then made a diving catch for the two point conversion pass from Kyle Mason after a bad snap on the extra point kick attempt. The teams traded possessions the rest of the half and the score stood at 22-0 going into the locker room.

During the second half, Webster still struggled to move the ball as Tyler Consolidated’s defense stood strong holding the Highlanders to a game total of just seven first downs and 102 total yards. The Knights added another score with 3:44 left in the game when Anderson pounded his way in from three yards out. The kick was no good and the Knights were up 28-0.

Reed led the Knights rushing attack with 129 yards on 27 carries with two touchdowns while Anderson had 119 yards on 22 carries for two score. Reed also caught a two point conversion pass and ran one in for two points giving him 16 points on the night. Anderson and Mark Rucker both had scores called back on penalties. Anderson also intercepted a pass.

Colby Buchanan had a big interception and return for 60 yards while also being in on six tackles. Keys and Chipps combined for 14 tackles.

Phillips was 9-20 passing for 62 yards. Anderson led the receiving with three catches for 35 yards and Colby Buchanan also had three catches. Rucker had two grabs for 15 yards and Trent Smith caught a pass for seven yards.

Overall, the Knights had 17 first downs, 255 rushing yards, 62 passing yards, fumbled twice losing one and racked up seven penalties for 70 yards. The Knights also got a big fumble recovery from Riley Leasure. This week the Knights will try to continue their winning ways as they travel to Ravenswood for a showdown with the 0-3 Red Devils. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.