×
×
homepage logo

From Wildcat to Valley Avenger, Fluharty is a Super Hero Indeed!

By Ed Parsons - Editor | Jul 29, 2021

Governor Jim Justice Reads a proclamation at the induction of Lazer Logan into the Valley Avengers. Looking on is Logan’s mother and Spiderman.

Rallying behind one of their own is nothing new to Paden City. In the case of Logan Fluharty it has become a normal part of many residents day and night as they frequent his home on South 2nd Ave., in support of the recent Paden City high school graduate. Fluharty was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in April 2020, and has been in and out of the hospital since he became sick and unable to play football for the Wildcats a couple years back.

He spends most of his time resting at home and visiting with friends, family and neighbors. He loves to be around friends and they often play corn hole and other games when he feels up to it. He gets tired easy and has good days and bad, but his attitude remains positive and his loving personality never changes.

Some of his supporters got wind of his love for the Valley Avengers and soon it became a reality. He was going to be inducted into the organization as “Lazer Logan” and would be a member along with Spiderman and the rest of the gang.

On July 19, Your Friendly Spiderman annoucned he would join the Valley Avengers and travel to Paden City to induct their newest member “Lazer Logan” into the club.

The Avenger bus decided to meet at Big Lots in Bridgeport, Ohio, at 2 p.m. on Wednesday July 21, where they collected food donations for the Fluharty family. They then planned to leave Bridgeport and travel down Rt. 2 on the West Virginia side to Paden City, to meet up with the Logan family. However West Virginia Governor Jim Justice out of the kindness of his heart decided to get involved, and his motorcade arranged to meet the Avenger bus at 1-470 and Rt. 2 for the trip as well.

This was now becoming a bigger deal and plans to escort the Avengers and Governor Justice through Paden City with a Parade led by local, county and state police, along with fire trucks and other supporters was put into place.

The Fluharty’s were picked up in front of their home and residents lined the streets to wave at the the towns first official Valley Avenger (Lazer Logan). It was then on to Paden City Park where Your Friendly Valley-Wide Spiderman and the Valley Avengers along with Governor Justice inducted Logan into what they called not only their team but their super family, while surpising him with a few gifts.

Spiderman and the Valley Avengers said they had never undertaken a mission like this and they were praying that the great people of the Ohio Valley would rally around them to support Logan. That they did as several hundred people filled the park to witness the newest Valley-Avenger Super Hero.

Governor Justice along with his famous “Baby Dog” made the event even more special as he presented Lazer Logan with an official proclamation. “Yesterday, we went through a parade for Logan, and then, after that was over, we went to a beautiful park,” Gov. Justice said om Thursday. “And this group of people – they call themselves the Ohio Valley Avengers – they had a special ceremony for Logan.”

The Valley Avengers are a charity organization made up of high school students that partner with the Make-A-Wish Foundation to bring hope and joy to kids battling diseases.

Gov. Justice then read the proclamation to Logan and the community, officially declaring him as the first Valley Avenger from Paden City.

“What a really, really good event that these people in this community put together; with everybody coming together,” Gov. Justice said during Thursday’s briefing. “This is what it’s all about. When it really boils right down to it, we are communities and we love one another. That community, that bond, that love for one another is what makes us West Virginians; it’s what has gotten us through this pandemic.

“The overwhelming support that the Paden City community showed, and their love for this young man and his family, it’s terrific and truly ought to be recognized,” Gov. Justice continued. “To all of you in Paden City: great work and thank you for letting me be just a small part of it. It just brings big tears to my eyes that we’ve got wonderful kids and we’ve got great communities in this great state. I’m so doggone proud it’s unbelievable. “Logan, we’re with you and we’re going to stay right by your side.”

As Logan continues to battle cancer donations on his behalf can be made at 740-219-0100 or thru PayPal email. valleywidespiderman@yahoo.com

Additions By, Randy Rutherford Staff Writer