homepage logo

Fugitive Captured In Tyler County

By Staff | Jan 31, 2019

A man wanted for criminal charges in Harrison County was captured Thursday, Jan. 31 in Tyler County.

Travis Medina, 35, who was wanted on charges of drug possession and for driving with a suspended license on multiple occasions, was reportedly captured at Mt. Zion Church on Broad Run Road.

According to Sheriff Robert Matheny of the Harrison County Sheriff’s Office, Medina had been a fugitive for several months.

Matheny said the fugitive had been spotted by authorities on multiple occasions, but was able to elude officers by riding a side-by-side or ATV into heavily wooded areas or onto hills.

Matheny explained law enforcement had planned an operation to bring Medina into custody. As a result, Medina was pursued through a “rugged area” from Wetzel County and into Tyler County.

A helicopter was reportedly used to track the progress of Medina.

The Harrison County Sheriff said Medina’s capture would not have been possible without the assistance of the following agencies: Lumberport Volunteer Fire Department, U.S. Marshal Service, Marion County Sheriff’s Office, Wetzel County Sheriff’s Office, Tyler County Sheriff’s Office, the Shinnston Police, the National Resource Police, and the West Virginia State Police.

Matheny said with an individual such as Medina — who is reckless and evading capture — assistance and cooperation from surrounding agencies is vital. Sheriff Matheny acknowledged and thanked the aforementioned agencies for their assistance.

Tyler County Sheriff Brian Weigle reported his office had received a call around 9 a.m. and responded to the situation, described as a man fleeing on a side-by-side from the U.S. Marshals Service. The man was described as armed and dangerous.

Sheriff Weigle said he along with two of his deputies arrived on the scene and spotted the suspect on Indian Creek Road, where they gave chase and turned the suspect toward the U.S. Marshals, who apprehended him without incident.

Sheriff Weigle said his department spent three hours total on the case, and he believed Medina will be processed by the U.S. Marshals Service in Wheeling.

Weigle noted Medina was taken to the hospital to be checked for hypothermia.