Relic Box Returns To Original
A Bit of Tyler County History Makes it’s Way Back Home. Some of the oldest Tyler County residents, especially those from the Big Sancho-Wick area, may remember when Doak’s Store sat in a field that was five miles from Middlebourne on what is now called Wick Road. The store was owned by brothers Jesse and Austin Doak. Other local Middlebourne area residents will surely remember when they moved the store to town where it was owned by Bob and Lec (Lester) Doak, sons of Jesse. Jesse’s wife, Ethyl also worked there in the 1950s. It was first called The People’s Store and sat where the Dollar General is now, and the name was later changed to Doak’s IGA. A few years ago, a biscuit box was found on the property of Steve and Charlotte Turner whose property sits across the road from the field where the original store sat. That property is now owned by the descendants of the late Bud Weigle. The box is unique in that it has writing on all sides and the bottom and a glass front that turns down. On the bottom of the box is printed Austin.Doak, Middlebourne. On the front glass door, it has the logo from Brenneman’s Fine Biscuits, Peerless Box Crate, Ward Mackey Co. Pittsburg. In 1884 – Hugh Ward and his son, Robert B.(Boyd) Ward, moved from New York to Pittsburgh and opened new bakery and was the first baking company to erect and operate a modern, sanitary bakery in Pittsburgh. In 1911, The Ward Baking Company was organized merging the Ward Mackey Company, the Ward Corby Company, the Ward Bread Company, and the Ohio Baking Company of Cleveland. After the box was found on the Turner property, Mr. Turner gave it to his sister who resides in Grant County, WV, because of her love of antiques and she in turn had it restored to it’s former beauty. A neighbor of the Turners, Janice McMullen, heard about the box and told Angie (Doak) Beros, daughter of Bob Doak, about it. Angie expressed how she would love to have it as she had nothing that belonged to her grandparents, and how pleased her deceased father would have been to learn about it. So, recently, Mrs. Turner and Mrs. McMullen met with Mrs. Beros and the box was returned to the Doak family where it is now in the possession of Angie. One story is that Ernest McMullen would catch rabbits and sell them to Jesse Doak for 25 each and then the customers could purchase them from the store. That was in the 1920s.