×
×
homepage logo

Middlebourne Council Approves Rate Increase

By Staff | Oct 14, 2015

City Council recently approved a nominal increase in water/sewer rates.

During council’s meeting Oct. 5, council approved a state mandated surcharge that would increase monthly bills $1.50 per thousand gallons for water and $1.57 for sewer.

Mayor Charlie Delauder said the additional revenue will be placed in a repair fund as required by state law.

In other business, council approved the second of three readings of an ordinance aimed at purchasing property for the north end of the city’s walking walking trail. Delauder said the 1.42 acres of property is located near Witschey’s Market on Route 18.

Delauder said until the deal is finalized and council gives its blessing by approving the final reading of the ordinance, he is unable to release the price to be paid for the plot of land.

He said the city applied for a $150,000 grant through the state Department of Highways. He said the grant is an 20/80 split with the city providing 20 percent of the funds and the state the remaining 80 percent. Delauder said the property would be considered as part of city’s matching 20 percent needed to secure the grant. If awarded, the grant will help pay for improvements to the park system’s walking trail. Delauder said the city would know in December whether or not it was awarded the grant.

In other matters, council approved changing its phone service from Frontier Communications to a voice over Internet protocol. Delauder said the move would save the city at least $200 a month.

Council approved a proclamation celebrating Christian Heritage Week between Nov. 22 and Nov. 28.