Hero’s Day Schedule Is Set
On Sept. 10, the WV Vietnam Veteran “Traveling Wall” will be escorted into Sistersville, starting at Pleasants/ Tyler County line. The wall will be escorted by fire, police, and Patriot Guard. The time will be announced.
On Sept. 11, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall will be set up at the Sistersville City Park at 8 a.m. From 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., the Memorial Wall will be on display for free public viewing. The local Veterans Organizations will hold a POW/MIA Service at the park at 7 p.m. They will read the names of those from Tyler, Wetzel, Pleasants, Ritchie, and Doddridge Counties who were POW/MIA/KIA during the Vietnam War. The Local Community is invited to attend. The local barbaershop quartet will provide patriotic music following this 7 p.m. Service. At 8 p.m., the wall will be dismantled and will depart for its next location in Lewis County, W.Va.
On Sept. 12, the Sistersville General Hospital will host a Heroes Day 5K Run/ Walk. At 8:30 a.m., the Heroes Day fun walk for kids will begin with the 5K run/ walk will start 10 a.m.
At noon, the parade entries will begin lining up along Riverside Drive. The parade will begin at 1 p.m., the viewing route for the community is along Route 2 and Wells Street.
Immediately following the parade, the opening ceremony will be held at the city park. The opening ceremony will consist of:
– The Welcome
– National Anthem
– Moment of silence for First Responders who died on 9/11/01
– Reading of the Proclamation from the Governor or Governor Representative
– Greetings from other dignitaries
– Blessing over all First Responders in attendance
Safety Day Events will follow the ceremony:
– US Army Black Hawk Helicopter will be on display from 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
– Impaired driving demonstration
– Fingerprinting for children
– Fire truck rides
– Local musicians, as well as County Music singer, Jocelyn Stout, will be providing music at the John Pancake Pavilion
– Concessions will also be available and will benefit the Volunteer Fire Company.
On Sept. 13, a Heroes Day worship service, immediately followed by a covered dish dinner at Sistersville First United Methodist Church.
Possible additions include engineer demo from the Army Reserve, Coast Guard ship docking for the day, and 93R Live Radio Broadcast. Food vendors are wanted.