×
×
homepage logo

Equipment Failure Cause of Fire at Pad

By Staff | Jul 22, 2015

Around midnight Thursday, July 9 there was a fire at the Gorby well pad on Big Run off Indian Creek Road. The pad is operated by Jay-Bee Oil and Gas based out of Cairo, W.Va.

Owners and firefighters believe a piece of equipment malfunctioned causing the fire. The well head was shut down to eliminate the fuel source, although it was not a factor in the event. There were no injuries.

Volunteer fire departments from Shirley, Alma, Middlebourne, Sistersville, Paden City, and Doddridge County responded along with four Tyler County Sheriff Deputies and Middlebourne EMS. Communications were coordinated through Tyler County Dispatch.

Tom Cooper, Director of Emergency Management for Tyler County said the fire was apparently caused by a rupture in the gas pipeline at the pad site. Cooper said there wasn’t an explosion and the fire was extinguished in a little over an hour. He said there was some equipment damage but no spills, fortunately the wells were able to be shut down safely.

Jay-Bee could not be reached for comment as of Monday, they operate sites in Wetzel, Tyler, Doddridge, Gilmer and Ritchie Counties, with plans to eventually operate in 10 other W.Va. counties.

Wells at the site remain closed.Last year there was another incident at the site when there was an explosion that damaged equipment and injured a worker. The Department of Environmental Protection and Company safety personell are investigating the incident.