homepage logo

Six defendants plead guilty

By Staff | Jun 8, 2011

The following cases were heard by Judge David W. Hummel, Jr. on May 31. Six defendants entered guilty pleas.

Candace L. Southerly entered a guilty plea to two counts: one felony charge of attempting to acquire a controlled substance by forgery and one misdemeanor charge of fraudulent schemes. She was sentenced to not less than one nor more than three years in prison for the felony, and jail for one year for the misdemeanor, to be served concurrently. Southerly, who had spent 100 days in jail because she was unable to post bond, was permitted to have the sentences suspended and she was placed on two years supervised probation.

She was ordered to pay restitution to HPS Pharmacy in the amount of $26.11; Sistersville IGA in the amount of $184.16; Curby’s in the amount of $36.63; and Tyler Outdoor Supply in the amount of $94.

Jeffrey S. Tanley entered a guilty plea to the felony charge of delivery of a controlled substance (oxycotin). Tanley was indicted in March based on an investigation conducted by Deputy D.S. Dalrymple. It was alleged that Tanley sold a cooperating witness three oxycotin tablets. The purchase was captured by a body recording.

Tanley was sentenced to not less than one nor more than 15 years imprisonment. The Court will entertain a motion to reconsider the sentence after Tanley has been incarcerated for at least four months.

He was ordered to pay restitution to the Tyler County Commission in the amount of $60.

Harry M. Strudwick entered a guilty plea to felony malicious assault stemming from the September 2010 attack on David Dronsfield. It was alleged that Strudwick entered Dronsfield’s hone uninvited on the evening of Sept. 15, and attacked Dronsfield. Dronsfield alleged in the statement tat Strudwick had bitten his face and caused substantial injury.

Strudwick, who has been in jail since the indictment, will be sentenced by Judge Hummel on July 28. He faces a possible prison term of not less than two nor more than 10 years. He was remanded to jail following the hearing.

William L. Wright pleaded guilty to one count of his two-count indictment found June 2010, alleging delivery of a controlled substance (marijuana). Wright was also charged in one county of a five-count indictment returned in March with conspiracy to deliver marijuana, along with his wife, Michelle Wright, and Debbie Oliver.

Wright, who had previously declared his innocence in open court, admitted during his hearing that he ad delivered marijuana to a cooperating witness in December 2009 at the Friendly Lounge. The witness was being overseen by Sgt. R.D. Pratt and Cpl. S.M. Huffman.

In return for his plea, the State dismissed the March indictment as to him. Wright was sentenced to not less than one nor more than five years in prison.

Michelle Wright entered a guilty plea to the felony offense of delivery of a controlled substance (marijuana). She was jointly charged along with her husband, William L. Wright, and Debbie Oliver in March.

It was alleged that she had delivered marijuana on three separate occasions between December 2010 and January of this year, with the help of her husband and Debbie Oliver. The marijuana was ultimately delivered to a cooperating witness who was being overseen by Deputy D.S. Dalrymple.

In return for her plea, the remaining counts against her were dismissed. She will return for sentencing on June 23.

Debbie Oliver entered a guilty plea to a four-count information charging her with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance, and three counts each of accessory after the fact to deliver of a controlled substance (marijuana). The March indictment against her was dismissed.

Subsequent to the indictment, Oliver entered into an agreement with the State to waive her right against self-incrimination and to offer testimony against William and Michelle Wright, should it become necessary.

Oliver was sentenced to 90 days home incarceration for possession, and six months in jail on each accessory count. After 90 days, the jail sentence will be suspended and she will be placed on supervised probation for one year.

She was ordered to pay a $50 fine on each accessory charge.