homepage logo

Sistersville City Council adopts meter ordinance

By Staff | Feb 25, 2009

In a meeting that lasted less than 10 minutes, a quorum of the Sistersville City Council unanimously voted to adopt an ordinance amending the fines for failure to pay parking meters in the downtown district.

Violators will now be fined $3 if the citation is paid within 72 hours of the offense; thereafter the fine will increase to $10.

Though no one attended the public hearing to speak out against the ordinance, a recent Tyler Star News online poll concluded that 75 percent of the people responding did not think the meters should be enforced, leaving 25 percent in favor of enforcing the meters.

Nevertheless, meters will be checked on a daily basis by the Sistersville Police Department and violators will be ticketed.