homepage logo

Tyler County awarded COPS grant

By Staff | Oct 13, 2010

Tyler County will finally get the extra deputy Tyler County Sheriff Bob Kendle requested over a year ago, thanks to grant funding.

Kendle appeared before the Tyler County Commission on Tuesday morning to update the commissioners. Kendle reported that he applied for a grant from COPS Hiring Program (CHP) and was notified last month that he was awarded the funds to hire an additional deputy. The estimated amount of federal funds to be awarded over a three-year grant period is $142,562.

As a result of the funding, Kendle announced that he has hired Mitch Corley to fill the position.

Corley has served two years with the Sistersville Police Department and was recently promoted to the rank of Corporal. Aside from being a certified law enforcement officer, Corley’s resume includes experience as an EMT, industrial firefighter and medical examiner for Marshall County.

Kendle said that Corley will be an asset to Tyler County. “Corley comes with all the experience needed for the job, as he has already completed the training and graduated from the police academy,” Kendle stated.

The commissioners approved Kendle’s request for hire.

In other business, David Cutright, service manager for Sistersville General Hospital’s Emergency Squad, attended the meeting along with Pat Durdett in regard to the proposed Ambulance Levy.

Durdett took the floor to explain what the levy money has been used for in the past. She stated that 37 percent of the levy is used for expenses paid and the other 63 percent, excluding salaries, benefits and taxes, are covered by charges from insurances.

She also said that out of the 63 percent comes patient care expense, which includes drugs, medical supplies, medical equipment, medical records, fuel, EMS building and repairs.

“The money is not used for salaries,” Durdett stressed.

Vice President John Stender said there was a question about the time it takes for a ambulance to get to a call.

Cutright stated that most of the people they transport are Tyler County citizens and they want to be transported out of the area.

He said that out of the 770 calls last year, 44 patients were taken out of the area and it takes time to get to these facilities and back. According to Cutright, the trip to and from Morgantown takes approximately four hours by ambulance.

Cutright also announced that SGH is partnering with Sistersville Fire Department, so trained personnel can go out on calls if the squad can’t get to them. They will be on call 24-7 according to Cutright. He also stated they have established a program to have them ride along on calls to get the extra experience.

West Virginia Extension Agent Christy Richmond attended the meeting and awarded Stender with the “Friends of 4-H Award.”

“This is presented to you for helping us get the 4-H campground where it is now,” said Richmond.

This is the first time a commissioner was awarded this honor.

MOVRC Grant Coordinator Tim Meeks brought invoices and drawdowns to the commission for approval. The commission approved the final payment to Coon’s Restoration in the amount of $2,092 for a total payment of $83,683 to fix the clock tower and the drawdown for the Annex Project Accountant Procurement in the amount of $98,680.50. Meeks said that 80 percent is reimbursement.

The next meeting will be held at 9 a.m. on Oct. 26 at the Tyler County Courthouse. The Courthouse will be open for early voting on Oct. 23 and 30 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.