Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | SUBMIT News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Safety and Trick-or-Treating

October 26, 2011
Tyler Star News

The upcoming area trick-or-treat festivities are fast approaching. As we send our "little monsters" out into our neighborhoods, be sure to take time to keep those wee ghosties and goblins safe on their journey into the night.

The W.Va. Poison Center warns parents to use caution and keep safety in mind for their trick or treater.

Some rules to follow include

CANDY - When in doubt, throw it OUT! Inspect your kids halloween candy, and throw away any candy with wrappers that are faded, torn, or partially wrapped.

Small, hard pieces of candy can be a choking hazard for young children.

Only eat handmade treats from people you know.

Don't store candy near medicine of any kind.

Too much candy can cause stomach ache and diarrhea.

Remember your PETS! Chocolate can be poison for dogs. So can sugar-free gum. Store candy where pets can't get into it.

COSTUMES - Think safety! Only paint faces with paint labeled non-toxic for use on the face. Avoid costume jewelry - small children may be tempted to put it in their mouth, causing a choking hazard.

Also, some costume jewelry may contain lead, which is harmful if swallowed.

Poisoned? Not sure? Call the medical experts at WVPC at 1-800-222-1222.

* * * *

Have a safe and spooky, fun and scary, Happy HALLOWEEN!

 
 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web